Re: [OT] Forum - was: New Mailinglist: debian-edu-core

Am Freitag, 19. März 2004 16.19 schrieb Markus Schabel:

Good morning

> Kermit Jones wrote:
> > p.carsten@arcor.de wrote:
> > I was gone for one week and received 140 mailings from the list.  Most
> > of which do not concern my interest in skolelinux.
> >
> > Most of the discussions would have fit much better in a forums-like
> > environment.  Threads are easy to track, changes or posting can be
> > subscribed to and you can receive summary emails as often as desired.
> >
> > Has anyone considered this idea?  phpBB, perhaps?  It would also be easy
> > to provide forums for troubleshooting, etc. for teachers and students.
>
> I think a mailing-list is still the best solution. Most email clients
> (except m$ outlook) support a threaded display of mails, so the
> difference between a forum and a mailinglist is not that great.
>
> What I love on mailing-lists is that I can read them whenever I want
> since they are available in my mailbox and there is no need for an
> internet connection (thinking about sitting in the sun ;))
>
> The problem with forums is that you cannot answer per email (I don't
> know any forum that is able to do this), so you have to go online to
> put away your 2 cent, and when you use a mailinglist they will be
> automatically sent when you go online the next time. That means it is
> far more easy to answer for busy people ;)

I personally prefer the mailinglist too but there is a solution.
We (ALIS - Arbeitsgruppe Linux an Schulen (workgroup linux at school)) have a
forum which "is" at the same time a mailinglist.
You can write an email to the mailinglist and it appears in the forum as well
and if somebody answers to it on the forum there is a answer in the
mailinglist too.
You find our forums at: http://www.edux.ch
(atm german and french only, but soon in italian and rumantsch too and perhaps
sometime in the future in english too ;-)

> btw: I've discussed the forum-newsgroup-mailinglist thing a lot of times
> and it is a very good thing for a flamewar, since nearly everybody has
> his own favourite solution...
>
> best regards, Markus

griits
Mario