Re: Recommended anti-virus software on file servers?

On Tuesday 02 March 2004 14:53, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Allan Jacobsen wrote:
> > The packages from backports work fine, I have them on all the servers I
> > administer, but they are not official, so I don't know if we should
> > recommend them.
>
> Another way of expressing the above is "The packages floating around on
> the 'net work fine...".

Come on Jonas, the packages from backports are hardly random packages floating
on the internet, they are, just like your unofficial repository, mostly
quality work by debian maintainers, and the result of frustration over things
like a spamassassin in woody that removes max 10% of spam, the one from
backports is closer to 50%.

> I suggest not recommending the use of backports.org!
>
> I feed backports.org through hundreds of backported packages from
> debian.jones.dk - I just do not suggest recommending random use, and
> especially not in an attempt to tighten security.

We agree, debian-edu should only recommend official packages, but sometimes
you can use other stuff, and after some testing I have been using
spamassassin, amavis-ng and clamav form backports for some months with great
success.

Best regards
Allan Jacobsen
Linuxbutikken.dk