Re: [Devel] We do need a "mascot"

On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 23:12, Thomas Templin wrote:

> > > What about the Idea for a logo which follows the "Dynamic Duo"
> > > http://www.gnu.org/graphics/gnu-and-penguin-color-300x276.jpg
> > > lets have a Dynamic Trio. GNU, Skole-elfin, and a Tux. At least a Duo,
> > > GNU and the elfin.
> >
> > Merging two images ...
> >
> > http://developer.ofset.org/cps/Groups/communiques_de_press/slx_mascot
>
> I think the elfin logo is a good idea. In (not only german)
> fairytales there are Kobolde which are known as some kind of
> good ghosts in a household who do all the unpopular homework
> at night when everybody sleeps.

 You're thinking of goblins?
Or "nisser" as they are called
Scandinavia?

 They don't look exactly the same all over Europe, though.
The Norwegian ones usually have a red vest and a red hat.

The Norwegian Skolelinux tranlators used the word "nisse"
as a translation for "daemon", because a nisse fits the job
description of a daemon process, just like a Kobold would.
 It was not the most self-explanatory translation we could
think of, but it was better than "demon" or "djevel" (devil).
And it was much funnier than "service".  For the Windows
converts, "service" would have been much more familiar.

But I, for one, _like_ the use of mythology in
computer terminology!

--
 Herman Robak