Re: [custom] Custom Debian Distros need the help from debian developers

On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 10:04:01AM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> It feels a bit counter-productive when we in the Skolelinux project
> spend lots of time trying to convince Debian package maintainers to
> add support for package configuration using pre-seeding of debconf
> answers, and then experience that the next maintainer of the same
> package consider this a waste and throw out the code.
[...]
> What should we do to make sure all the packages we need to configure
> at install time are configurable in a standardized way, preferably
> using debconf preseeding?

So far I believe it's just a communication problem: the Custom Debian
concept is probably still not well known enough to expect developers to
understand its implications and current requirements.

I think the issue should be addressed writing some nice, short, clear
documents and publicize them in -devel-announce.

A Custom Debian Manifesto is in the works at
http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?CustomDebianManifesto
although still far from being complete, nor short and coincise.

There should also be a small tech reference, outlining the technologies
used by Custom Debians so far, and their rationale.

I worked on it a bit, but due to graduation deadlines I'm sorry I can't
start/resume working on it until the beginning of april.

Anyway, that's how I'd handle the problem at the moment.

Ciao,

Enrico