Re: Proposed stable update: webmin-ldap-user-simple (1.3-1 -> 1.3-20)

On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 06:04:19PM +0100, Ralf Gesel|ensetter wrote:
> okay, I suppose it is my fault updating w/o regarding some local changes
> we had to do in order to match our naming conventions: remember hyphens
> ("-") being swallowed during validation process?
>
> would it be difficult to extend the module configuration page to
> - define valid chars for usernames

that would be possible, except that it would be ugly to display.
not sure what that would look like.

> - define own rule how to determine username - like "%1f%7l" to have one
> char of first name (%f) and 7 of last name (%l).

that would be much harder to do properly. the present algorhythm
is a good deal more advanced. this one (and similar ones) are
much more likely to produce collisions and be unable to come up
with a new unique username.

(the problem is that if users shoot themselfs in the foot despite
beeing warned about the consequences of their doing they still
blame debian-edu for their pain and suffering later.)