MTOOLS_SKIP_CHECK=1 for usbpens

Hi,
At my school we are using ltsp-usb on at thinclient on skolelinux.
The problem is that using different usb-pens of different vendors we have the problem that some usbpens
require MTOOLS_SKIP_CHECK=1 to be set in .mtoolsrc.

my question is:
does this have some negative effects if this was enabled on a global scale, through /etc/skel/.mtoolsrc ?

The other issue is that when using usbpens, the machine has to be restarted when using an other usbpen.
Is there some way to enable some sort of rescane of the usbbus scan the next time another usbpen is inserted.

regards
TOrstein Dybdahl