monthly report for June

My second monthly report on skolelinux work. This report actually covers
the last week of May, as my last monthly report was on May 24th.

This month has been marked by lots of meetings and discussion with other
people about both debian-edu and d-i topics. Most of this was at
DebConf4, where we had various meetings including a Skolelinux BOF, a
meeting with Mark Shuttleworth, constant d-i meetings and work, and
various other ad-hoc discussions and meetings. A lot was decided and
accomplished at some of these meetings, while others laid the groundwork
for future cooperation and work. After DebConf4, discussions and work
have continued on various topics, most notably security updates for
testing.

I had four main goals for concrete progress this month, and I've
attained three of the four.

1. Get working debian-edu sarge CDs. I count this goal as met, though
   the CDs of course still need more work. Their principle problem is
   that not all of the debian-edu tasks fit on the CD. But they do
   install some debian-edu tasks and work well enough that I announced
   them to the mailing list.

2. Find a way to provide security updates for testing. This is done,
   and feedback on it is generally good. The next step is to make it
   public, get other people on the team, and implement it.

3. Release the debian-installer release candidate 1. This is the goal
   that remains unmet, though we had a fairly successful test candidate
   1 release instead. Various problems prevented this from being the rc1
   release. Few of these problems impact debian-edu at all, and in fact
   Skolelinux 1.0 was released using the debian-installer, so it
   obviously works pretty well. However, I'm still going to need to do
   lots of coordination and work for d-i to reach the rc1 milestone, which
   will continue to detract from the time I can spend on debian-edu.

4. Set up my home network so I have a quicker test cycle for debian-edu
   CD images. This is done.

For next month, I plan to continue work on 1-3 above. I also want to get
deeper into debian-edu than the install process I've been focusing on so
far, and begin looking at the packages that comprise it, making sure
that they are available at current versions in the testing distribution,
and that they work properly with the debian-edu configs.

I'd really appreciate any feedback that anyone in the
debian-edu/skolelinux project has about the work I'm doing and how I'm
doing it. It's been a pleasure to work with you this past two months.

--
see shy jo