Re: Please (temporarily) remove debian-edu meta packages from testing

On Sat, May 08, 2004 at 12:07:56PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Steve Langasek]
> >> Currently education-standalone-extras blocks kdemultimedia.
> >> education-standalone-extras depends on kmix because the old version of
> >> kdemultimedia provides kmix. See #246463 for details.

> Why is there no package in sid providing kmix?  Is there no audio
> mixer in KDE now?  If the old package are provided, the problem would
> not appear, right?

"kmix" seems to be a typo; the referenced bug lists kgeo and kmidi as
the packages that are missing.

> > This seems rather suboptimal, not least of all because it's an
> > unnecessary hassle for the maintainer to keep track of the package's
> > status.  I'd think it at least ought to have its dependencies built
> > against unstable, so that it isn't constantly uninstallable in sid
> > (aside from the issue of blocking other packages).

> The reason I decided to build against testing, was that a lot of
> packages in unstable failed to enter testing, and this made it
> impossible for debian-edu to enter testing.  This is still the case.

> And these packages currently missing from testing are not that
> important.  They should be installed if available, and ignored
> otherwise.  So I decided to ignore them by building against testing
> instead of unstable.

> I am interested in alternatives, if there are any good ideas.

Well, other than joeyh's suggestion to use tasksel-like handling, the
other idea that comes to mind would be to depend only on packages that
are in *both* testing and unstable at the time of the build.  That ought
to avoid all possible problems with testing propagation, though it would
be more maintainer overhead and make the end product less useful at any
given time than the tasksel approach.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer