2Q: Slow blender; javac missing

Dear friends of skolelinux :)

hopefully one of you can answer one or the other of these two questions:

(1) in order to win our PC-Arts teacher for using the skolelab, I set up
blender for him. It _is_ hard to use, but if one has some sample finds,
they can play around with those.
Alas, blender's GUI seems to use its own drawing routines, if you start
it on a thin client and klick onto a menu, after 1 sec, one half of the
menu's background shows up as triangle, after another second the other
half, and then 3 entries per second are written into the menu box. This
is way too slow - is there any way to fasten this? (e.g.compressing
screendata?)

BTW, before blender runs, one has to set a symbolic link from a missing
library file (wrong subversion) to an existing one.

(2) for my own computer science lessons I do need the java compiler
javac. At home with testing, javac is a link to
/etc/alternatives/javac -> /usr/bin/gcj-wrapper-3.2 which comes from
gcj-3.2. With skolelinux, I could only install version gcj-3.0, but
there is no javac to be found.
What is the most recommended way to have a complete java sdk installed -
debian conform if possible? Add entries to sources.list? Download .deb
files? Blackwood? Sun?

Thanks for your hints
regards
Ralf