Re: converting /etc/passwd /etc/shadow into skolelinux-LDAP

tirsdag 13. april 2004, 09:52, skrev Martin Herweg:
> is there a script or howto for converting "normal"
> Linux users and their passwords (/etc/passwd + /etc/shadow )
> into skolelinux LDAP-Users ?

Yes, I did this at my school last year with 600 users.
apt-get install migrationstools
should do the trick.

I also made some comments about the process, look at
<URL:http://www.skolelinux.no/~klaus/example.ldif>

I'm not sure that I would do it this way if I had to do this again
today. Today I think that I would have added them all new again with
WLUS(webmin-ldap-user-simple) with fileimport to keep their usernames,
and scripted through the resulting ldif to put back their old
passwords, and also fixed the different uid/guid so that it would match
those that the users old homedirs have. This way I think you get a
"perfect" ldif. But I guess it's all a time issue, if migrations tools
does a OK job, then maybe wait until the summerholiday to fix  the
ldap. Andreas Schuldei might have some comments about this.
--
Klaus
http://www.holmlia.gs.oslo.no