Re: non-free?

[Ottar Kvindesland]
> The aim of Skolelinux is AFAIK not to preach some Linux gospel if
> such things exist. It is to provide stable and prudent IT services
> to the education sector at a competitive cost.

The aim is also to teach the schools and the pupils the quality of
free software, and teach them that it is OK to share and modify
software.  It is also that the schools can avoid keeping track of
license terms and counts.  So using free software where possible is
important.

> As seen from my seat, the skolelinux developers are very positive to
> introduce new packages as long as they hold a decent quality and fit
> in onto the CD.  Any suggestion I have witnessed has been given
> considerable thought. A much more positive attitude than a political
> ban on all non-free software.

There is a requirement that the software must be freely
redistributable without any license limitations on use and
distribution.  Also, we have not many people on the project currently
interesting in maintaining non-free software, so those wanting
non-free software in Skolelinux will need to maintain it themselves.