Software for Maintaining Network Architectures

A big pro of skolelinux is it's scalable network structure. In reality,
having more than one terminals servers mean to be able to set up and
maintain a hierarchical architecture of networks. With this, there are
two major tasks, I see: documentation of the connections and
administration of active switches.

Does anybody know an active project that aims into the same direction as
"Scotty" [1]? At first sight it looks superb (haven't tried yet), but
there obviously haven't been any modifications during the past 5 years.

[1] http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~schoenw/scotty/

Regard
Ralf

P.S.: Would anybody, please, be kind enough to answer my Req/Wtd thread?