Re: What do you want to do

Firstly, thankyou all very much for making this list possible.
I'm very glad to get mails from such wonderful developers,
and on such a great mission.
Please forgive me for responding to this survey so late.

On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>It would be great if each of you could respond (either
>privately or publicly if you prefer) to those questions :

1. Are you a debian developer ?

No.

2. If no, would you like to become a developer in order to
   maintain some packages ?

I'd be interested, but I don't know much about package maintenance.

3. Do you have packaging skills/experience ?

I only have some of the skills required to learn.

4. If you're a Debian developer, are you willing to sponsor
   people who packages educational software ?

I'm not a debian developer.

5. Are you willing to write/translate documentation for educational
   software ?

Yes, I'd like to help write documentation.  I wouldn't be able
to do any translation though.

6. What area in the big educational landscape are of special interest
   for you (math, physics, biology, languages, etc.) ?

math, I guess (that is my background)

7. Freestyle question. What else would you like to do within DebianEdu ?
   What do you expect from DebianEdu ?

I would like to help to install Debian in Australian schools.
I know, for example, that several schools in Sydney have a large
number of old PowerPCs that cannot be used by recent versions
of MacOS or of course other mainstream OSs.

I'd like to be able to take a DebianEdu CD to the school with some
informational material, like, say a short talk on various aspects
of the use and strengths of Debian that schools see as relevant to
them, and encourage them to use their obsolete
hardware (for a start ;) with Debian, probably with thin clients
in order to set up resource centres for the students to do word
processing etc.  I'm sure any school would benefit from a room
or two of Debian networks.

I'm talking a lot, but I've only just started to look into this
kind of thing, and so I'm not really confident about approaching
schools yet.  What I would like to be able to do is put the
maintenance of Debian networks into the hands of teachers and
students, so that they won't rely on outside contracts for help.
I'm looking for some other people to work with.
I want to know about existing movements in this direction, and
to be able to point out success stories of Linux (and especially
Debian) in schools.

I'd also like to see Linux contractors being able to take on
the kind of large contracts that many of our schools sign, as
a kind of direct competition with the contractors that install
and maintain networks of mainstream OS.  I'd like to know how,
in general, these existing, often multi-year contracts would
affect efforts to install linux.  Do they ever have clauses
that prohibit the co-networking of other machines, for example?

Forgive me for going on,

Patrick Lesslie