Re: Vcon Packages

Hello,

On Montag, 16. September 2002 18:18, Matthew Joyce wrote:
> Well we really need to include the OpenMCU / OpenH323 Packages
> as well as gnome-meeting.

GnomeMeeting is indeed a fine piece of software and is already packaged for
Debian.

> Also, Real Server (This NEEDS to Exsist since
> you need to grab libraries from Potato to get Real Server 8 dunno about 9
> to even function) and Real Player (This Exsists) Packages.  There is other
> (better and worse) software out there but most of it is unstable or not
> developed for linux.  I will keep my eyes peeled for linux mpeg-4 based
> streaming and v-con. Real 9 should support sorenson codecs in linux since
> they do in windows.  Also there are infrastructure package concerns such as
> Mbone and Multicast modules.

Real: this is proprietary software and should not be included in Debian.
Besides being proprietary, the company has a long track of hurting standards
and acting against user interests.

Mbone / Multicast: This is Internet core infrastructure configuration.
GNU/Linux readily supports them, but it is up to the providers and technical
consortiums to spread it.

> I've never personally seen FFMpeg setup as a streaming server in an
> educational environment, but since its open source some might favor it over
> real's proprietary and mind numbingly expensive stuff ( which my school
> uses ). FFMpeg's capabilities on paper look exceptional.  I've never
> personally set it up though.

FFMpeg is a great piece of software, I've used it already for research
purposes.

> And a Quick Post Script...  Whats a great exceptional stellar and all
> around neat how-to intro to package developement.  It would be fun to
> learn.

I haven't yet checked how readable the Debian packagers docs are. Raphael,
can you please set up a list of important links to them on the Wiki? Thx :-)

Bye,
  Christian