Meta Packages

Hi,

First of all, let me say that I think that DebianEdu is a fantastic idea
for a project - anything which encourages the production of free software
for schools is worthwhile.

Having looked at the Wiki, I'd like to suggest that rather than using the
current set of meta packages, one is chosen which more closely reflects
the division of subjects traditionally used in schools. This would make
it easier to set up computers depending on the lessons in which they
will be used. For examples:

1. As far as I know, astronomy is rarely taught on its own at school
level. The packages in this should probably be part of physics. The same
is arguably true of electronics, although in some schools this may come
under something like design technology (however, I wouldn't have thought
there is any reason why the same package can't appear in more than one
meta package).

2. LogicGames should possibly be part of mathematics.

3. Language should probably be split into 'first language' and 'foreign
languages' meta packages.

I would also suggest that meta packages are created (at least in an
abstract sense) for other subjects, even if there are not currently any
packages to go in them - otherwise when a new package is added, it is
tempting to squeeze it in somewhere where it doesn't belong, or worse, put
it in misc. For example, I think that these should include the rest of the
sciences, humanities, information technology and so on. Another
consideration is the possibility of providing different meta packages for
different age groups.

A final minor point is that Services might be better renamed
Administration.

I hope that this is useful,

Phil