Re: New subproject: DebianEdu

[Raphael Hertzog]
> I'm proud to announce the birth of the DebianEdu subproject. This
> subproject aims to make Debian the best distribution available for
> educational use. I hope that being an official Debian subproject
> will let us federate many initiatives around education like the
> french Debian Education distribution[1] (in which I was involved).

Sounds good.  Hopefully I'm now subscribed to the list.

> HOW TO HELP
>
> Many things can be done and needs to be done :
> - integrate in Debian some external Debian packages for education
>   (we created some of these for the french Debian Education)
> - package non-packaged education related software

Skolelinux have a long wishlist of packages missing from Debian.  We
do not know if all of them are good, but they look interesting:

  3D Planetarium, KMol, Planets, QuizComposer, autorun, baudline,
  cinderella, dbdesigner, geonext, kalzium, kgraph, kldap,
  klearnspelling, kmultiply, knorskverbs, kpercent, kvoctrain,
  magicdev, postgresql-autodoc, sql-ledger, supermount, xplns, xyzet,
  ymessenger, zul

> - improve the existing software (adding i18n, adding more translations)
> - write good documentation

We are working on a sysadm handbook, and courses for the teachers.

> - cooperate with the debian-installer effort to make sure we can
>   have a good installer for people with limited computer skills

We are working on this as well.

> - cooperate with other education-related projects (like Seul, Ofset,
>   KdeEdu, ...)

We would like to improve in this area. :-)

BTW: Perhaps you would like to come to the next development meeting in
  Skolelinux?  It is not scheduled yet, but I expect one in the next
  few months.