Fwd: [kde-edu]: [KDE4] Edu-Shell like Kontact

Moin moin

Vielleicht habt ihr ja Kommentare hierzu...

Carsten

Subject: [kde-edu]: [KDE4] Edu-Shell like Kontact
Date: Thursday, 11. August 2005 05:58 pm
From: Carsten Niehaus <cniehaus@kde.org>
To: kde-edu@kde.org

Hi

Some of us will be in Malaga in about three month. This is at least Pino,
Albert, Danny and myself. I would like to kick off a discussion about
creating a KDE Edu-Shell for kdeedu just like Kontact. In Kontact, every app
is a KPart (KMail is, KOrganizer is and so on). All apps can of course also
be used standalone, eg. without starting the "pim-shell" kontact.
In my idea, every application of kdeedu would become a KPart as well and the
edu-shell (better names welcome ;-) would just be the glue.

Advantages:
- As KDE4/Qt4 will force us to change some internal things if we want or not
this is a good time to make such a big step
- The applications would appear (and actually be) much more integrated
- "KDE-Edu" would have a new meaning just like Kontact was a *big* step for
kdepim. KDE-Edu would mean: "The kde-suite created to help my children" or
something like that

Disadvantages:
- Extra work required for KDE4
- The apps would become more complex internally as they would all need some
magic of DCOP and KParts
- Some of us have probably no idea how to use KParts and/or DCOP

Some comments:
* How often has it been discussed that we need something like "KMath" where
all math-like-applications would be integrated into one big app. This is the
chance, in my opinion.

* I think Albert, Pino, Danny and myself could do quite a lot in Malaga to
push this forward. As we have a good "archetype" (kdepim) it shouldn't be
*that* difficult

* This move could/should obsolete the current discussion on kde-core-devel

Carsten