Debian-edu etch RC5 (terra) release Announcement
This is the fifth release candidate of debian-edu etch. After the
release of rc4 there have been some new reports about critical bugs
which were unknown before. Thanks to this testing there have also been
fixes and changes made since rc4. Because of that, we like to present
one more and hopefuly the last release candidate. With this common
test ground, we would like to ask you for doing all kind of final
testing. So please file bugs at http://bugs.skolelinux.org/ now, if
you see any problems. We are especially interested in reports about
upgrades from the sarge based version of Debian-Edu. If you do not
have hardware available to test on, please have a look at
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/HowTo/TestCDinstall for hints about
to test without.
Please help to make Debian-Edu/Skolelinux 3.0 the best release ever by
testing this release candidate and providing feedback of any kind to:
debian-edu at lists.debian.org
* Enabling diskless workstations no longer break thin client boot.
* Hotplug devices now work on diskless workstations.
* No longer provide read/write access to the thin clients hard drive
to the thin client user. New configuration variable
LOCALDEV_FIXEDVISIBLE to enable the old behaviour. This
configuration variable is not yet provided from upstream and might
change name or behaviour in the future.
* Minor cleanup in how PAM and NSS are configured for LDAP, reducing
the amount of manual editing done by cfengine.
* Changed partitioning rules to get more of the available disk space
allocated as unused LVM space, and reduce the minimum disk
requirements. Adjusted the minimum partition sizes based on recent
* Fixed bug in Samba LDAP integration to make it possible to add
machines to the Domain.
* Fix bug in X configuration to get scroll wheels working.
* Updated the Debian Edu documentation provided in
* lsb-releases returns the same values as on debian etch now, except
for DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION, which returns "DebianEdu/Skolelinux
(terra)" as debian etch debian-edu etch is lsb 3.1 compliant
* Replaced the logo used in the graphical installer with our own
Some features are still not working as they should. We are aware of
these at the moment and would like help finding a fix for it:
* The netinst installation from CD tend to have a timeout when
downloading packages. The workaround is to restart package
installation when this happen.
* The amd64 netinst CD can not install LTSP, as it is missing the
i386 binaries needed.
* The LDAP server SSL certificate is not verified by the clients.
* The release documentation is a bit sparse.
The dvd ISO image is 4.4 GiB large. To download it, use either of
or for the netinstall cd you can download for i386
and for amd64
The powerpc port has not been tested as much as the other
architectures, though it should work just fine and has been reported
to work. Still, we consider the port an experimental release of
Debian-Edu, which we might not be able to support as the other archs.
Its available for download at