to test without.

Please help to make Debian-Edu/Skolelinux 3.0 the best release ever by
testing this release candidate and providing feedback of any kind to:
debian-edu at lists.debian.org

Highlights:

  * Enabling diskless workstations no longer break thin client boot.
  * Hotplug devices now work on diskless workstations.
  * No longer provide read/write access to the thin clients hard drive
    to the thin client user. New configuration variable
    LOCALDEV_FIXEDVISIBLE to enable the old behaviour. This
    configuration variable is not yet provided from upstream and might
    change name or behaviour in the future.
  * Minor cleanup in how PAM and NSS are configured for LDAP, reducing
    the amount of manual editing done by cfengine.
  * Changed partitioning rules to get more of the available disk space
    allocated as unused LVM space, and reduce the minimum disk
    requirements. Adjusted the minimum partition sizes based on recent
    installations.
  * Fixed bug in Samba LDAP integration to make it possible to add
    machines to the Domain.
  * Fix bug in X configuration to get scroll wheels working.
  * Updated the Debian Edu documentation provided in
    /usr/share/doc/debian-edu-doc/.
  * lsb-releases returns the same values as on debian etch now, except
    for DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION, which returns "DebianEdu/Skolelinux
    (terra)" as debian etch debian-edu etch is lsb 3.1 compliant
  * Replaced the logo used in the graphical installer with our own
    image.

Some features are still not working as they should. We are aware of
these at the moment and would like help finding a fix for it:

  * The netinst installation from CD tend to have a timeout when
    downloading packages. The workaround is to restart package
    installation when this happen.
  * The amd64 netinst CD can not install LTSP, as it is missing the
    i386 binaries needed.
  * The LDAP server SSL certificate is not verified by the clients.
  * The release documentation is a bit sparse.

The dvd ISO image is 4.4 GiB large. To download it, use either of
these methods:

  ftp://ftp.skolelinux.org/skolelinux-cd/debian-edu-etch-amd64-i386-powerpc-DVD-rc5.iso
  http://ftp.skolelinux.org/skolelinux-cd/debian-edu-etch-amd64-i386-powerpc-DVD-rc5.iso
  rsync ftp.skolelinux.org::skolelinux-cd/debian-edu-etch-amd64-i386-powerpc-DVD-rc5.iso

or for the netinstall cd you can download for i386

  ftp://ftp.skolelinux.org/skolelinux-cd/debian-edu-etch-i386-netinst-rc5.iso
  http://ftp.skolelinux.org/skolelinux-cd/debian-edu-etch-i386-netinst-rc5.iso
  rsync ftp.skolelinux.org::skolelinux-cd/debian-edu-etch-i386-netinst-rc5.iso

and for amd64

  ftp://ftp.skolelinux.org/skolelinux-cd/debian-edu-etch-amd64-netinst-rc5.iso
  http://ftp.skolelinux.org/skolelinux-cd/debian-edu-etch-amd64-netinst-rc5.iso
  rsync ftp.skolelinux.org::skolelinux-cd/debian-edu-etch-amd64-netinst-rc5.iso

The powerpc port has not been tested as much as the other
architectures, though it should work just fine and has been reported
to work. Still, we consider the port an experimental release of
Debian-Edu, which we might not be able to support as the other archs.
Its available for download at

  ftp://ftp.skolelinux.org/skolelinux-cd/debian-edu-etch-powerpc-netinst-rc5.iso
  http://ftp.skolelinux.org/skolelinux-cd/debian-edu-etch-powerpc-netinst-rc5.iso
  rsync ftp.skolelinux.org::skolelinux-cd/debian-edu-etch-powerpc-netinst-rc5.iso

Good luck,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen