Debian-Edu/Skolelinux Release Candidate 1
The Debian-Edu/Skolelinux project is pleased to announce that the next
test release of "Debian-Edu/Skolelinux 3.0, codename 'terra'" is ready.
This is the fifth test release based on Debian/Etch. It is available
to download using FTP, HTTP and rsync.
This is the first release candidate of debian-edu etch. After that we
will release RC2 and RC3 with shorter delays in between and then we will
release. So please file bugs at http://bugs.skolelinux.org/ NOW, if you
Even if you dont have available hardware to test on, you can still help
with testing in qemu. The page
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/HowTo/TestCDinstall will help you get
test4 was one day late, so we shifted the release schedule: we now plan
to release RC2 on May 27h, RC3 on June 3nd and Debian-Edu etch on June
10th. We might cut RC2 and RC3, as we want to release at the end of May.
Highlights of RC1
* Firefox is now installed by default, with a few much used translations.
* The hostname is now correctly set based on DNS name.
* This release reintroduces the CD. It will grab the packages that did
not fit on the first cd from network.
* debian-edu-doc is a new package containing all documentation.
Currently it lacks update of the information for etch and translation.
* slbackup-php is now installed as default. Test it with
* Checks in place to avoid installing the standalone profile together
with any of the others.
The ISO image is 4.4 GiB large. To download it, use either of these
for the netinstall cd you can download
The powerpc and amd64 ports are still under development, and are
currently not officially a supported part of Debian-Edu.