rapport BSP

Allo!

J'ai écrit un court rapport pour faire suite au BSP d'hier sur mon
blog. C'est en anglais parce que je voulais une diffusion plus large sur
debian-planet (qui est en anglais) et parce que j'ai ce réflexe quand
j'écris sur Debian. :)

Voici une copie en pièce jointe... On refait ça bientôt!

PS: Koumbit a fait une traduction sommaire ici:

https://www.koumbit.org/fr/content/rapport-devenement-bug-squashing-party-debian

--
À force de ne jamais réfléchir, on a un bonheur stupide
- Jean Cocteau

Last friday, a group of Debian users, developers and enthusiasts met
at [Koumbit.org][] offices for a [bug squashing party][]. We were
about a dozen people of various levels: developers, hackers and users.

[bug squashing party]: https://wiki.debian.org/BSP/2017/04/ca/Montreal
[Koumbit.org]: https://koumbit.org

I gave a quick overview of Debian packaging using my
[quick development guide][], which proved to be pretty useful. I made
a [deb.li][] link (<https://deb.li/quickdev>) for people to be able to
easily find the guide on their computers.

[quick development guide]: https://anarc.at/software/debian-development/
[deb.li]: https://deb.li/

Then I started going through a list of different programs used to do
Debian packaging, to try and see the level of the people attending:

* `apt-get install` - everyone knew about it
* `apt-get source` - everyone paying attention
* `dget` - only 1 knew about it
* `dch` - 1
* `quilt` - about 2
* `apt-get build-dep` - 1
* `dpkg-buildpackage` - only 3 people
* `git-buildpackage` / `gitpkg` - 1
* `sbuild` / `pbuilder`
* `dput` - 1
* `rmadison` - 0 (the other DD wasn't paying attention anymore)

So mostly skilled Debian users (they know `apt-get source`) but not
used to packaging (they don't know about `dpkg-buildpackage`). So I
went through the list again and explained how they all fit together
and could be used to work on Debian packages in the context of a
Debian release bug squashing party. This was the fastest crash course
in Debian packaging I have ever given (and probably the first too) -
going through those tools in about 30 minutes. I was happy to have the
guide that people could refer to later in the back.

The first question after the presentation was "how do we find bugs"?
which led me to add links to the [UDD bugs page][] and
[release-critical bugs page][]. I also explained the key links on top
of the UDD page to find specific sets of bugs, and explained the
useful "patch" filter that allows to select bugs with our without
patch.

[release-critical bugs page]: https://bugs.debian.org/release-critical
[UDD bugs page]: https://udd.debian.org/bugs/

I guess that maybe half of the people were able to learn new, or
improve their skills to make <del>significant contributions</del>
or test actual patches. Other learned
how to hunt and triage bugs in the [BTS][].

Update: sorry for the wording: all contributions were really useful,
thanks and apologies to bug hunters!!

[BTS]: https://bugs.debian.org

I myself learned how to use `sbuild` thanks to the excellent
[sbuild wiki page][] which I improved upon. A friend was able to pick
up sbuild very quickly and use it to build a package for stretch,
which I find encouraging: my first experience with `pbuilder` was
definitely not as good. I have therefore starting the process of
switching my build chroots to `sbuild`, which didn't go so well on
Jessie because I use a backported kernel, and had to use the
backported `sbuild` as well. That required a lot of poking around, so
I ended up just using `pbuilder` for now, but I will definitely switch
on my home machine, and I updated the sbuild wiki page to give out
more explanations on how to setup pbuilder.

[sbuild wiki page]: https://wiki.debian.org/sbuild

We worked on a bunch of bugs, and learned how to tag them as part of
the BSP, which was documented in the [BSP wiki page][]. It seems we
have worked on about [11 different bugs][] which is a better average
than the last BSP that I organized, so I'm pretty happy with that.

[11 different bugs]: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?users=debian-release@lists.debian.org;tag=bsp-2017-04-ca-montreal
[BSP wiki page]: https://wiki.debian.org/BSP/2017/04/ca/Montreal

More importantly, we got Debian people together to meet and talk, over
delicious pizza, thanks to a sponsorship granted by the [DPL][]. Some
people got involved in the [next DebConf][] which is also great.

[next DebConf]: https://debconf17.debconf.org/
[DPL]: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianProjectLeader

On top of fixing bugs and getting people involved in Debian, my third
goal was to have fun, and fun we certainly had. I didn't work on as
many bugs as I expected myself, achieving only one upload in the end,
but since I was answering so many questions left and right, I felt
useful and that is certainly gratifying. Organization was simple
enough: just get a place, send invites and get food, and the rest is
just sharing knowledge and answering questions.

Thanks everyone for coming, and let's do this again soon!

--
If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't
understood it yet.