Re: Fwd: RSVP open: Wed Jun 15, Amir Chaudhry -on- Unikernels - What are they good for?

I know Amir he's awesome!!! And an amazing speaker!

On Sat, Jun 4, 2016 at 1:48 PM -0700, "Brian Gupta" <brian.gupta@brandorr.com> wrote:

Technically not Debian related, but since the speaker is flying in
from Cambridge, UK, I figured it's worth sharing. (Note: OS drivers
are written in OCaml, so bonus points if you like FP.)

-Brian

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 11:33 AM
Subject: RSVP open: Wed Jun 15, Amir Chaudhry -on- Unikernels - What
are they good for?

RSVP here:
----------------
http://rsvp.nylug.org/231555330 (Meetup redirect)

(Note: If you can not or will not use meetup.com, please email me if
you want to RSVP, otherwise please use Meetup, since we've written
tools to manage the RSVP list from Meetup's API.)

What:
---------
Unikernels - What Are They Good For?

When:
----------
Wednesday, June 15, 2016
6:30 PM

Where:
-----------
Civic Hall - 2nd Floor
156 5th Avenue, New York, NY
(Use the far elevator bank to get to the 2nd floor.)

Amir Chaudhry

-on-

Unikernels - What Are They Good For?

Note: WE ARE MEETING AT CIVIC HALL!! We'll need names, and you will
need IDs. RSVP will open Wednesday June 1st, 2016, 4:30pm.

Word of unikernels is beginning to spread, especially the benefits
around their lean size and portability. This portability comes from
using only the necessary libraries that an application needs, along
with the ability to swap out those libraries to target different
environments (e.g. x86, ARM, _javascript_, etc) — all without changing
the application code.

This talk will present a brief overview of current methods of
computing as well as the basics of unikernels.  We'll then work
through an example that demonstrates the benefits of using libraries
this way, going from local development through to considering
deployment.  Such approaches will be important for things like IoT
software development and distributed systems.

There will be plenty of time for questions!

Links:
--------
http://unikernel.org/
https://mirage.io/
http://docker.com/

Afterwards:
---------------
Join us afterwards at Jake's Saloon where we'll continue the
discussion over drinks and/or food. Jake's Saloon is located at 206 W.
23rd Street.

Speaker Bio:
Amir Chaudhry works at Docker to make unikernels accessible to
developers everywhere, and is the Community Manager for MirageOS. Most
of his time is spent on open source efforts and he's a big fan of
automation to maximise developer impact. In previous lives he led
operations at a medical device start-up, created a seed investing
programme, and been a board observer.  Amir also has a diverse
academic background with an MSci in Physics and a PhD in Neuroscience.
When not working on unikernels, Amir is probably looking at the sky
and wondering when he can next go skydiving.