ownCloud: when the cloud is not someone else's computer!

When:
----------
Tuesday, February 9, 2016
6:30 PM

Where:
-----------
Civic Hall - 2nd Floor
156 5th Avenue, New York, NY
(Use the far elevator bank to get to the 2nd floor.)

Frank Karlitschek
-on-
ownCloud: when the cloud is not someone else's computer!

Note: WE ARE MEETING AT CIVIC HALL!! We'll need names, and you will
need IDs. RSVP will open Tuesday Jan 26th, 2016, 4:30pm.

For many people cloud means storing data in an abstract place where it
is always available, and this is a wonderful feature.

However the privacy, security and availability risks are high, because
in the end you are just putting your data on someone else's computer.

ownCloud is an Open Source project that aims at bringing the cloud
back in your hands while maintaining the ubiquitous access features
that make the cloud paradigm desirable to so many users.

This talk will cover topic such as cloud service decentralization,
cloud federation and will cover ownCloud feature-set and roadmap.

Links:
---------
http://owncloud.org/
http://github.com/owncloud

Afterwards:
----------------
Join us afterwards at The Storehouse Pub where we'll continue the
discussion over drinks and/or food. The Storehouse Pub is located at
69 W. 23rd Street.

Speaker Bio:
-------------------
Frank Karlitschek is a long time open source contributor and former
board member of the KDE e.V. He managed engineering teams for over 10
years and worked as head of unit and managing director at different
internet companies. In 2010 he started the ownCloud project and is
leading the community project since then. In 2011 he co-founded
ownCloud Inc. to offer commercial services around ownCloud. Frank has
spoken and keynoted at dozens of SCaLE’s, FOSDEM’s, LinuxCon’s and
Latinowares all over the world

[1] - Please email me if you'd like to attend and you can't or won't
use meetup.com.