From: Brian Gupta <brian.gupta@brandorr.com>
Date: Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 7:30 PM
Subject: RSVP open, Wed Nov 18: Debian to Brewmaster: the alchemy of
building SteamOS
To: NYLUG Technical Discussion <nylug-talk@nylug.org>

RSVP here:
-----------------
http://rsvp.nylug.org/225196157 (Meetup redirect)

When:
--------
Wednesday, November 18, 2015, 6:30 PM

Where:
----------
Civic Hall - 2nd Floor
156 5th Avenue, New York, NY (edit map)
(Use the far elevator bank to get to the 2nd floor.)

Guy Lunardi

-on-

Debian to Brewmaster: the alchemy of building SteamOS

Note: WE ARE MEETING AT CIVIC HALL!! We'll need names, and you will
need IDs.

With bandwidth consumption exceeding 2 Tbps at peak time, Steam is the
force driving video gaming today. Valve, the creator of Steam, has
identified that open source offered the opportunity to potentially
free itself from strong dependencies on platforms it had no control
over -- Microsoft Windows and Apple MacOS. This presentation aims to
highlight how Valve leverages and contributes to free and open source
software to create SteamOS, a Debian derivative focused on providing a
stable and reliable OS for the Steam Client.

We will look at details from hardware enablement, Linux kernel,
baseline distribution and all required customizations to produce
SteamOS. This presentation will highlight how Debian derivatives can
be produced to purpose-built software platforms.

Afterwards:
---------------
Join us afterwards at The Storehouse Pub where we'll continue the
discussion over drinks and/or food. The Storehouse Pub is located at
69 W. 23rd Street.

Speaker Bio:
Guy Lunardi is the VP of business development at Collabora, a
consultancy working exclusively on free and Open Source software.
Before joining Collabora, Guy was a director of OEM preloads focusing
on SUSE Linux Enterprise. Guy has over 20 years of experience helping
customers successfully adopt Open Source software. Based in New York,
USA, Guy is a native French speaker and is fluent in English. He is
involved in the foundations supporting GNOME, GStreamer LibreOffice
and Linux.