[Debian-NYC] Announcement: Software Freedom Day NYC Saturday Sept 15, 2012

Hi folks. As promised, please find the announcement copy for SFD
below. The organizers are still looking for someone to give a short
talk on Debian. If no one more qualified than me is available, I am
willing to do so.

However, I KNOW there are dozens of people more qualified than me on
this list. :) If no one is available, my thoughts are to talk about
what makes Debian special, and in my mind that is largely the
collaborative, self-organized community of disparate individuals that
have coalesced to develop this amazing operating system, and the
guidelines of the group, summarized here:
http://www.debian.org/social_contract

Thanks,
Brian

Announcement copy:
--------------------------
For full information please see the official announcement and wiki
page at: http://wiki.softwarefreedomday.org/2012/USA/NY/NYC#preview

The 5th annual Software Freedom Day NYC will take place on Saturday
September 15, 2012 from 7-10 pm.

The New York celebratory event will be held this year at ITP (NYU's
school for the Interactive Telecommunications Program) located at 721
Broadway (between 8th Street & Washington Place.)

As in previous years this will be a celebration of the merits and
successes of free software, with food & drinks and a short program of
speakers. This is also a "hack friendly" event; we have 2 large
breakout rooms so bring your laptop to demonstrate a project you're
working on or engage in informal collaboration.

At 8:30 pm there will be a short program including presentations.
Tentatively scheduled are:

Freedom Box -- presented by James Vasille of the Software Freedom Law Center
"Wikipedia Takes Manhattan” -- presented by Wikimedia NYC (following
up on this afternoon’s photo-walk departing Bowling Green at 3pm, and
arriving at ITP at 7pm)
Occupy <3s Open Source -- presented by TechOps of the NYCGA (NYC
General Assembly)

as well as short talks on leading free software projects and distributions.

After this program there will be a reception, including, of course, a
key signing.