Re: [Debian-NYC] Thoughts on Eventbrite.

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 01:59:23PM -0500, Brian Gupta wrote:
> I understand that some people are opposed to RSVP lists for privacy
> reasons, but the reality is we live in a post 2001 New York and many
> groups meet in buildings that have rigid security policies, that
> require a list of names for the front desk security. Currently the two
> major options appear to be Meetup.com and Eventbrite. Eventbrite seems
> less invasive of the two, but still clearly is suboptimal.

Personally I haven't found Meetup.com to be invasive for the (board
gaming-oriented) group I'm in, though it's not free of charge for the
organizers (it is for attendees). Then again, it's not oriented toward
occasional/casual visitors to a one-time event, and is better suited to
long-term recurring events with lots of regulars in addition to hopefully new
people. In other words, I wouldn't think it's the right answer for either NYLUG
or SFC NYC. I second the desire for some free-as-in-freedom software to handle
this.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@debian.org