[Debian-NYC] Saturday 18 June 2011 ISOC-NY: Beyond the Bleeding Edge, a gathering for learning about our Net

  what="official Internet Society of New York announcement"
  main-issues="keeping our Net free; keeping our right to own a computer"
  edits="some odd characters removed, some reformatting">

 Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 11:28:56 -0400
 To: announce_list <announce@isoc-ny.org>
 From: ISOC-NY announcements <announce@lists.isoc-ny.org>
 Subject: [isoc-ny] Beyond the Bleeding Edge: Confronting the Ghosts in the Machine

 Beyond the Bleeding Edge: Confronting the Ghosts in the Machine

 Where: Warren Weaver Hall NYU, 251 Mercer St NYC, Room 109
 When: Saturday, June 18, 1-5 pm
 Who: Public Welcome. Admission Free.

 "We have designed our civilization based on science and
 technology. We have also arranged things so that almost no one
 understands science and technology. This is a prescription for
 disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or
 later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going
 to blow up in our faces." - Carl Sagan

 Never has a clear comprehension of the technology surrounding us
 been more critical than today. We tell machines what to do and
 hope they do it, and when they don't they leave us vulnerable to
 technological accidents and acts of malice we cannot
 comprehend. This event will bring together technologists from a
 variety of disciplines and backgrounds to explore technology on
 a granular level, from perspectives ranging from user behavior
 in virtual environments to the exploitation of functions at the
 hardware level.

 SPEAKERS

 David Solomonoff: Overview: Cargo Cults and Ghosts in the Machine

 David Solomonoff is the President of the Internet Society of
 New York (ISOC- NY), a chapter of the global Internet Society
 (ISOC).

 Hilary Mason: Big Data & Machine Learning

 Hilary Mason is the lead scientist at bit.ly <http://bit.ly>,
 where she is finding sense in web-scale data sets. She is a
 former Computer Science professor with a background in machine
 learning, has published numerous academic papers, and regularly
 releases code on her personal site.

 Josephine Dorado: Virtual Actions, Real World Effects

 Josephine Dorado is a virtual worlds and online community
 consultant, educator, interactive events producer and
 skydiver. She was a Fulbright scholarship recipient and initiated
 the Kidz Connect program, which connects youth internationally
 via creative collaboration and theatrical performance in virtual
 worlds. Josephine also received a MacArthur Foundation award to
 co-found Fractor.org, which matches news with opportunities for
 activism. She currently teaches at the New School and is the live
 events producer for This Spartan Life, a talk show inside the
 video game Halo.

 Carol Parkinson: The Evolution of Computational Art

 Carol Parkinson is the Executive Director of Harvestworks and has
 been involved in the programming and development of the
 organization since 1982. She is a founding member of TELLUS, the
 experimental audio series and continues to support and distribute
 experimental and innovative work in the digital media arts. Her
 primary interest is the development of new technological tools
 for art-making and the cultivation of a new aesthetic involving
 sound and image in the electronic arts.

 Aram Sinnreich: MondoNet: Wireless Mesh Networking By the People, For
 the People

 Aram Sinnreich is an assistant professor at Rutgers University's
 School of Communication and Information, and the author of the
 recent book "Mashed Up: Music, Technology and the Rise of
 Configurable Culture". He has written about music, media and
 technology for The New York Times, Billboard, and Wired, has
 testified as an expert witness in several cases including the
 Supreme Court file sharing suit MGM vs. Grokster, and has offered
 his expertise as an analyst and consultant to hundreds of
 companies, from the Fortune 500 to fledgling startups, since
 1997.

 Jeremy Pesner: Behavior While Under the Influence (of Gaming)

 Jeremy Pesner graduated from Dickinson College in 2009 with a BS
 in Computer Science. He is very curious about the digital
 landscape and the elements shaping its future. His interests and
 prior work include educational gaming, website design, tech
 policy, government 2.0, and cloud computing. He will be attending
 Georgetown University this fall in the Communication, Culture &
 Technology program.

 Mike Goodman: An Introduction to NES Hacking

 Mike Goodman, aka Invaderbacca, has been creating visualizations
 and hacking video games within the chip music community for
 several years.  He has developed a novel glove interface for
 manipulating video signals in real time. He has performed at
 venues including Blip Festival, Pulsewave, I/O Chip Shows and the
 Engadget Show.

 --

 David Solomonoff, President
 Internet Society of New York

 Internet Society - NYC Metropolitan Area Chapter
 http://isoc-ny.org

 'The Internet is for Everyone."

Distributed poC TINC:

Jay Sulzberger <secretary@lxny.org>