Re: [Debian-NYC] Next event(s)

Been hitting the snooze button on replying to this thread too long. My
apologies.

The NYCIST meeting will be at The Children's Storefront in Harlem
<http://www.thechildrensstorefront.org/> on Feb 23rd. Because of the
time and space constraints for this meeting, the agenda will no longer
be Debian/Ubuntu installation oriented. It will instead be more
discussion based on a variety of topics, including Linux if I present.
Anyone from this list is welcome to come, but you would need to be
interested in how technology is used in private schools as a general
topic for it to be worth your while. If you would like to come, please
email me off list and I will give you the particulars.

Now, my original desire to donate a lot of Linux based machines to The
Children's Storefont's Tech Saturday program
<http://www.thechildrensstorefront.org/ts/> is still alive and well. I
have 30+ four year old Dell desktops that really want to be used and
not end up in a land fill
<http://hubpages.com/hub/Calgary-Computer-Recycling>.

The computers are currently at my school <http://www.unis.org/>. It
would be difficult for me to bring them to Park Slope, but I think I
could get approval to host the installfest at UNIS. We have a nice big
open space where we could spread out. Some probably would need some
hardware TLC and cannibalization (never thought I would use those two
words the same sentence), so if there are hw hackers in the group,
bring your favorite tools. All working computers would just need to be
gotten to a point where a person could boot it up and enjoy Linux.

If people want to install on their own computers, they would be
welcomed too. If there are additional working donations, I will take
them and handle the logistics of getting them to the Children's
Storefront.

Seems like a win-win situation:

* lot's of people can get experience installing Debian or Ubuntu on
someone else's computer
* at the end 30+ families will get to experience the joy of Linux
* 30+ machines get to stay out of the landfill for a little while longer

I will ask about the availability of Feb 23rd, but wont move on it
until the group has shown a positive interest. Would the 22nd be
possible? Then I could go to the NYCIST meeting, too.

- Raúl

p.s. I have never hosted a large event, so I'm just floating this idea
at this point. I should know by the end of the day what logistics are
involved for an event of this kind happening at UNIS. Seems like a
great thing for our students to experience, so I am hopeful.