[Debian-NYC] Guardian Mobile Privacy/Security Hack Session This Saturday

Please let me know if this is too far off-topic for this list. I thought it was relevant based on conversations I've had with many different Debian-NYC people:

Start Date: this Saturday, Jan 29, 2011
Hours: 12:30PM-6PM
Cost: Free / Venue: Eyebeam
540 W. 21st Street, (between 10th and 11th Avenues)
New York, NY 10011
Tel. 212.937.6580 Fax: 212.937.6582
http://eyebeam.org/events/guardian-project-hack-session

Come learn about mobile privacy, test our software and hack your
Android-powered phones, players, readers and tablets. The Guardian
Project (https://guardianproject.info) aims to create easy to use apps,
open-source firmware MODs, and customized, commercial mobile phones that
can be used and deployed around the world, by any person looking to
protect their communications from unjust intrusion. We will be working
on and testing apps from Guardian and other developers that provide
features for increased privacy, anonymity and security on mobile networks.

The workshop will specifically cover the following topics:

- How to browse the web anonymously and circumvent filtering and
firewalls using Orbot (Tor for Android) and Firefox Mobile
- Tweeting over Orbot using transparent proxying (iptables magic!)
- Secure your SMS and mobile IM conversations using “Off the Record”
messaging
- Make end-to-end encrypted voice calls using CSipSimple and Freeswitch
- Learn about the state of and “how to” on rooting Android devices, and
building and booting your own firmware

This event is being hosted at Eyebeam by Hans-Christoph Steiner as part
of his X-Lab Residency. Attendance is free – email stephanie [at]
eyebeam [dot] org to RSVP.