Re: [Debian-NYC] Novice Nights and other workshops

Hi!

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 02:25:46PM -0500, Carlos wrote:
> Hello Debianistas,
>
> I applaud Richard's remark: "We need to.. advertise to
> under-represented groups".  Some ideas: non-profits, specific ethnic
> &/or religious groups, small businesses, local government, active-duty
> military.  Doing Novice Nights that are targeted at particular
> constituencies may increase the probability that participants will
> view themselves as "interacting peers" rather than passive clients in
> a client-provider relationship (with "Debian NYC" in the role of
> provider).  It can also increase the depth that can be reached in
> limited time by limiting the scope to that which is most desired by
> the target constituency.

I added these to the NN wiki page.  I especially like the idea of such
targeted outreach (we can even put on NNs _at_ their own locations).
If we can spawn other communities with a critical mass, they can
become their own support.

> I think it would be good to list the specific objectives and
> non-objectives of the "Novice NIghts" effort.  For instance, are the
> following objectives or non-objectives:

I added these to the wiki page, with some more.  Anyone, feel free to
edit and improve.

> I volunteer to be part of the staff for the Novice Night currently
> being planned.  I consider myself to be an intermediate linux
> sysadmin, with focus on Debian and Ubuntu.  I'm also pretty
> comfortable with public speaking, and/or leading in various
> capacities.  I'm not too proud for grunt work either [within reason ;)
> ].  Leadership: please advise how I may be most useful.

Great!

If you want to help before, prodding people to set a date and come
would be good.

Once an event starts, I imagine it'll be pretty free-form.  For
technical stuff, we'll all help each other and teach each other
things.  But there are also use for other leaders: people going around
and making sure no one is being neglected, finding who is doing
similar things and connecting them, and starting mini-presentations.
I can't quite say exactly what now, but we can find a niche for
everyone.

I should also add that anyone who wants to take over parts (or help
with) _my_ job here, go for it!  It doesn't have to be my job, and
probably shouldn't be just me.

For all of these things, permission is not needed, only initiative.
No one gave me permission :)

Thanks,

- Richard