Re: [Debian-NYC] Wed, celebrating Debian's birthday?

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010, Brian Gupta <brian.gupta@brandorr.com> wrote:

Listen guys, I know everyone loves PS. It's a great location, and there are
many things to like about it, especially if you live near by. Almost every
single DebianNYC social is at PS, and for good reason.

In this case we accidentally scheduled a meeting that conflicts with the
NYLUG meeting, and for a couple reasons rescheduling is not ideal. On any
other night, I would be saying, "Let's hit PS, we haven't been in a while".

On this night, I'd like to implore the group to see if we can't facilitate
some post DebConf NYLUG and DebianNYC love. :) I'm fairly comfortable
changing the NYLUG venue from TGI Fridays, to pretty much anything else,
(and pretty much have a standing order from most of the membership to do so)
but I believe there is some expectation that we don't take people out of
Manhattan. (We can probably leave the midtown area.. if people have
suggestions.)

I don't go out much these days, so I don't know a ton of good venues in
Manhattan, but would propose that we find one, and would love to see people
propose ideas. One option, which I have visited once, may make a reasonable
venue. Probably not as comfy or ideal as PS, but certainly head and
shoulders better than TGIF's. That venue is listed here:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/murphys-pub-new-york

I'd invite those that are more familiar with Manhattan drinking and dining
to offer alternatives.

Thanks for listening,
-Brian

I am for a joint gathering.  And TGIF's is large enough so that
occupying more than one table is not difficult.  It is difficult
to find a good not expensive eating and drinking place near the
IBM building at 57th Street and Madison Avenue on the Island of
the Manahattoes.  But TGIF's is a known standard place, which is
of advantage: people can find it, and many people have been to
it, so these people know what to expect and can tell others.  I
think we should not choose a different place unless it is less
expensive and has better food and drink.

Ah, I just went and looked at the page.  Here is what I read:

 Stumbled in here yesterday (Wednesday) due to the ridiculous
 downpour of rain that hit NYC yesterday.

 Was supposed to meet a friend for an after work drink at Turtle
 Bay but the line was inexplicably out the door and I needed
 shelter and a cold beer so I ran into Murphys.

 Bar was completely dead. There was one drunk older lady at the
 bar awkwardly staring at me and a bunch of older businessmen in
 suits. Music was also kind of a downer. My friend ended up
 showing up while I was mid-beer so she ordered a beer as
 well... next thing I knew I was there for a couple hours. The
 scene picked up a little when a random Lady Gaga song came on as
 a corporate softball team walked in, but that was the peak of the
 excitement.

 Saving grace is that happy hour specials were decent. $3 bottles
 of domestic beer and $4 pints. Also the bartender was a good guy
 - gave us a free round.

 Probably wouldn't go out of my way to go back.

Yes this is a NYLUG bar, and yes this is a Debian bar.

I am for Murphy's.

oo--JS.