Re: [Debian-NYC] Tech Teacher NoviceNight

Hola,

I agree with you that the event should still be open to the public. My
hope with focusing on education at the  event is to give more tech
teachers the option of using Linux to solve their problems.

Unfortunately I won't be there Wednesday because of a prior
commitment. I agree that the exact content of the event should be
decided on to make it most useful. And, I see in re-reading that some
of my topics do not fall under the novice category (YET!).

Let's see how many of the NYCIST folks come tomorrow. If that event
satisfies the Linux novices then we can focus on a Debian-in-schools
workshop with appropriate demos.

(I'm replying to this while in transit. My apologies if I did not
address a point you raised.)

Raúl

On 11/30/10, Richard Darst <rkd@zgib.net> wrote:
> Raúl,
>
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 05:35:05PM -0500, Raul Cuza wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm a member of NYCIST <http://nycist.net> and have let our group of
>> technology teachers know about this Wednesday's NoviceNights meeting.
>> A few of us will hopefully make it.
>>
>> I'm writing to see if there is interest in holding a NoviceNight
>> specifically for our group. We meet once a month at various locations
>
> I think this is a good idea.  Someone had suggested similar things a
> few weeks ago, so it's great you have the same idea.  Let's try to
> make this happen.
>
> I think the one most important requirement for a group-specific Novice
> Night is that it is still public, documented and advertised like all
> of our events.  This makes sure it doesn't become "free work" while
> still having a very strong benefit to the hosting group (and more
> cross-community collaboration).  Thoughts?
>
>> around the city. I was hoping we could focus on issues of deployment,
>> dual booting a lab environment, Linux thin clients, educational
>> software, etc. The exact topics can be decided by interest and skills
>> of tutors.
>
> It's hard to know just how the environment of Novice Nights will go,
> but it will certainly evolve.  Some of the ideas you mention may be
> good targets for a workshop, and have Novice Night be more of a
> "getting started" thing.  The Novice Nights can always have a group
> discussing more advanced things.
>
> If you'll be at the Novice Night on Wednesday, we can see how that
> goes and how to put on the best event for NYCIST.
>
> See you there?
>
> - Richard
>
> --
> | Richard Darst  -  rkd@          -  boltzmann: up 497 days, 15:50
> |            http://rkd.zgib.net  -  pgp 0xBD356740
> | "Ye shall know the truth and -- the truth shall make you free"

Sent from my mobile device