Re: [Debian-NYC] Fwd: Puppet presentation Wednesday Nov 18th.

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009, Brian Gupta wrote:
> The one thing you may be addicted to with cfengine2 is the ability to
> "edit" config files. Naively puppet can't do this and relies either on
> OS tools, (e.g. useradd), pushing out files, and pushing out
> templates. That said there is a third party add-on that gives you this
> ability, but it really is an antithesis of the "puppet way",
> http://augeas.net/

Thanks for the reference! I will check it out

Indeed 'file editing' is the critical feature for me which prevented
considering puppet at some point in the past -- I prefer slight
tune ups to default configuration as shipped with distribution in
contrast to full templates.

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko
Postdoctoral Fellow,   Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences