16-22 May 2007 Four Free Software Gatherings

Stephen Weinberg will speak on ssh, Wednesday 16 May 2007

 On Wednesday, 16 May 2007 at 7:00 pm at the GNU/Linux SIG of the
 Westchester PCUG, Stephen Weinberg will present a talk on using
 ssh to defend insecure links.

 Official notice below my signature.  (The notice says that
 Wednesday is is the 17th, not the 16th.  I here assume that the
 day is Wednesday the 16th of May 2007.)

Building the Broadband Economy, Thursday and Friday, 17 and 18 May 2007

 On Thursday and Friday, 17 and 18 May 2007, there will be a big
 conference on Building the Broadband Economy at Polytechnic
 University in Brooklyn, New York.  Gale Brewer, head of the
 Technology in Government Committee of the New York City Council
 will speak, as will many other distinguished guests.  Poly is in
 downtown Brooklyn, and the A, B, C, 2, 3, M, R, 4, and other
 subway lines are within two blocks of Poly.  For more information
 see:

 http://www.intelligentcommunity.org

 Official notice below my signature.

Personal Democracy Forum, Friday 18 May 2007

 On Friday 18 May 2007 at Pace University in downtown New York the
 Personal Democracy Forum will meet.  Several famous and infamous
 speakers are scheduled.  I believe the eating and drinking will
 be good.  For full information see:

 http://pdf2007.confabb.com/conferences/PDF2007/details

New York City Broadband Committee Hearing, Tuesday 22 May 2007

 Backround:

   On Monday 30 April 2007 a hearing was held in City Hall in
   Manhattan on City Council Resolution 712, a resolution in favor
   of Net Neutrality.  Text of resolution:

   http://webdocs.nyccouncil.info/textfiles/Res%200712-2007.htm

   Resolution 712 was introduced in the City Council in February
   2007, sponsored by Council Member Gale Brewer.  Res. 712 calls
   upon the United States Congress "to codify strong network
   neutrality principles in order to insure that the Internet will
   continue to foster innovation, increase competition, and spur
   economic growth as well as making the Internet faster and more
   affordable for all.".  Testimony was taken and recordings are at:

   http://peoplesproductionhouse.org/?q=aggregator/sources/2

 The next public hearing dealing with Net Neutrality is scheduled
 for noon, Tuesday 22 May 2007 in Brooklyn's Boro Hall, right next
 to Polytech University.  It is important that those who know what
 the Net is, and want to keep the Net free, come to this and the
 other hearings to be held in Queens, Staten Island, and
 Manhattan.

 For information about the Broadband Committee see:

 http://nycbroadband.blogspot.com

 Below my signature is a long official notice of several
 Broadband Committee events, including information on how you can
 testify.

Personal remark: The free software movement is a political
movement.  In New York City the Broadband Committee hearings
offer a platform for us to speak in favor of freedom of the Net.
Oddly, in the obscure knot of issues called "the digital divide",
severely mathematical principles of engineering are deep entwined
with the politics and economics.  Entwined, but mostly invisible
to the newspapers and network TV.  Let us say what we want, and
let us clearly convey the facts of the matter: We want the Net,
the real and true Net we built, and we can get our Net, at high
speed, and low cost, by providing enough bandwidth.

Jay Sulzberger <secretary@lxny.org>
Corresponding Secretary LXNY
http://www.lxny.org