Re: Content difference in Debian 'LTS' page & 'LTS Using' page

at bottom :-

On 16/05/2018, Amey Abhyankar <sco1984@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was browsing Debian LTS page to get 'schedule'.
> I found difference on those pages.
>
> i) https://wiki.debian.org/LTS = Shows Debian 9 “Stretch” at this page
> ii) https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/Using = The current LTS version is Debian 7
> "Wheezy"
>
> I believe current LTS version is Debian 9 (Strech)
>
> Regards,
> Amey.

Dear Amey,

As Abhijit has shared, the LTS versions are for a longer period. I
would have to search the archives for the discussions on debian-devel
but safe to say the idea of LTS is/was to compete to Redhat offerings
of 7 years support or even a decade support as that is what most
businesses, enterprises want.

For enterprises and businesses it makes sense if updates don't have to
break toolings and workflows for a long time and have enough time to
make the changes when they need to, and assess any potential fallouts
and fix or workaround them. While there are paid opportunities for
kernel and security-support there aren't just enough people with
enough expertise to make for longer periods of LTS for now in Debian.

While there's more into that, I do hope it answers what might have
driven the question in the first place.