notes about conversation between me and nathan

Dear all,

Nathan, a gentleman from south India, apparently living in Delhi
approached me to share if there is a way to get his package into the
Debian archive.

These are notes on what I shared with him, maybe somebody might find
something useful.

While I'm not a DD I did share details of DD's who are ok with being
publicly being named and asked him to use both IRC or/as well
matrix/riot to connect with people.

https//riot-im

https://opensource.com/article/17/5/introducing-riot-IRC:

the most interesting part of it is it has an inbuilt irc-bouncer -

https://opensource.com/article/17/4/never-leave-irc-again

https://opensource.com/article/17/5/introducing-riot-IRC

I also suggested him to use a VCS like git, subversion or mercurial
depending on what he likes.

I like vcs because you get the history of what happened when and who
signed off/did changes to a repo.

For e.g. https://github.com/vector-im/riot-web/compare/release-v0.11.4...master

I shared the above as the changelog.gz via riot always has a single
line in its changelog

/usr/share/doc/riot-web

riot-web (0.13.3) whatever; urgency=medium

  * Package created with FPM.

 -- support@riot.im  Mon, 04 Dec 2017 13:14:09 +0000
changelog.gz (END)

Although they are not the only culprits -

But more often than not, you get more detailed info. than a sane
person can handle, just look at any kernel release changelog.gz notes
-

http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs/main/l/linux/linux_4.14.2-1_changelog

I also suggested to him to host a website, put some screenshots and
mention if he using gtk/qt or something else for the UI which could
also help in people trying it out. Having screenies is also important.

I also mentioned the maintenance part and working with the community,
within the community.

See https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=873566

and https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=873853

as examples.

While we were on the phone for almost an hour and half there was still
lots we couldnt cover.

For instance look at the numbers shared by the ftp-master recently -

http://blog.alteholz.eu/2017/12/my-debian-activities-in-november-2017/

I also failed to share about the many colors of DD , DD with no upload
rights (something I could look into) , partial upload rights and
full-upload rights although as shared

as shared the ftp-master has the last word although IIRC some
conversations with few DD's off-list is nowaays ftp-master usually
tells a reason why a package has been rejected.

There is and was lots more to share but as I'm tired for now, ending
the mail here.