Re: BOSS is back ?? Seems like Yes !

at bottom :-

On 9/16/15, Rigved Rakshit <r.phate@gmail.com> wrote:
> Quoting from the article:
>
> “It answers government’s need have a fully secure network. Fresh codes
> unique to the system have been written for the OS. Its source code that
> makes it safe and secure will have to be guarded at all cost,” sources
> said.
>
> So, is it not fully Free Software anymore?
>
> Best Regards,
> Rigved
>
> On Wed 16 Sep, 2015 01:08 Siji Sunny <sijisunny@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> It seems like, Govt. India is planning to come back with BOSS-Linux. With
>> reference to few online reference link, CDAC is planning to release a new
>> version in this month with lot of changes.
>>

>> http://www.techworm.net/2015/09/linux-based-boss-to-replace-microsofts-windows-as-os-for-indian-government.html
>>

>> http://thelogicalindian.com/news/why-government-is-launching-its-own-operating-system-replacing-microsoft-windows/
>>

>> --
>> Siji Sunny
>>
>> --
>
> Best Regards,
> Rigved

Hi all,
>From the article and BOSS repeated assurances, it seems the best bet
for security is 'security by obscurity' and on that basis alone, they
are no different than Microsoft or any other closed-source vendor.

Just for the point, there was a similar question raised in one of the
talks just a while back, the question is/was if I know the algorithm
which is being used that is equal to cracking it, isn't it ?

The answer is and was just knowing the algorithm isn't enough. If it's
a good algorithm then you would have to spend time and clock-cycles to
try to defeat it.

The idea is that anything is secure because it's unknown is laughable.
When the Chinese were able to penetrate the Americans or when
Americans were able to penetrate Iran's defence network, do you think
all of them were using free software ?

The more obscure (in other words source-less) something is, there are
more chances that a dark hat would be able to do its bit and get away
with nobody being the wiser.