Re: Balasankar is a Debian Maintainer (DM) now!

at bottom :-

On 3/5/15, Pirate Praveen <praveen@onenetbeyond.org> wrote:
> Congratulations Balasankar! He contributed significantly to ruby packaging
> joining efforts to package diaspora and gitlab in Debian. He will now be
> able to upload new versions of his packages himself without a sponsor. This
> will bring him close to being a Debian Developer who has voting rights and
> full upload rights.
>
> Looking forward to more contributions from him. I hope this will inspire
> more people to join Debian.
>
> Praveen
>

> --

Hi all,
Congrats Bala. Hope to see many more packages from you, either on
diaspora or elsewhere :)

Btw, just saw this the other day :-

$ aptitude search diaspora
p   diaspora-common                                                 -
distributed social networking service - common files
p   diaspora-installer                                              -
distributed social networking service - installer

So guess the job is sorta done, the only thing left to do is improve
the packaging of the installer and the various components, update and
streamline the various packages as and when time permits to the people
in the team.

Also saw that the packages are team-maintained at
pkg-ruby-extra-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org.

~$ aptitude show diaspora-installer
Package: diaspora-installer
New: yes
State: not installed
Version: 0.2
Section: ruby
Maintainer: Debian Ruby Extras Maintainers
<pkg-ruby-extras-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Architecture: all
Uncompressed Size: 60.4 k
Depends: debconf (>= 0.5) | debconf-2.0, ruby | ruby-interpreter,
diaspora-common, nodejs, curl, postgresql, redis-server, sudo,
ruby-rspec,
         bundler, ruby-dev, libpq-dev, build-essential, libssl-dev,
libcurl4-openssl-dev, libxml2-dev, libxslt-dev, imagemagick,
ghostscript,
         libmagickwand-dev, net-tools, nginx
PreDepends: postgresql-client, dbconfig-common, adduser
Conflicts: diaspora
Replaces: diaspora
 Diaspora (currently styled diaspora* and formerly styled DIASPORA*)
is a free personal web server that implements a distributed social
 networking service. Installations of the software form nodes (termed
"pods") which make up the distributed Diaspora social network.

 Diaspora is intended to address privacy concerns related to
centralized social networks by allowing users set up their own server
(or "pod") to
 host content; pods can then interact to share status updates,
photographs, and other social data. It allows its users to host their
data with a
 traditional web host, a cloud-based host, an ISP, or a friend. The
framework, which is being built on Ruby on Rails, is free software and
can
 be experimented with by external developers.

 Learn more about diaspora at http://diasporafoundation.org

 This package helps install diaspora using rubygems.
Homepage: http://wiki.debian.org/Diaspora

$ aptitude show diaspora-common
Package: diaspora-common
New: yes
State: not installed
Version: 0.2
Section: ruby
Maintainer: Debian Ruby Extras Maintainers
<pkg-ruby-extras-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Architecture: all
Uncompressed Size: 61.4 k
Depends: ruby | ruby-interpreter, nodejs, curl, postgresql,
[...]

 This package provides files common between diaspora and diaspora-installer.
Homepage: http://wiki.debian.org/Diaspora

So congratulations in order to Praveen and the ruby-team as well. :)

Now will come the hard-part of teaching us buffons as to how set it right :P