Re: BOSS is back ?? Seems like Yes !
- To: Abhilash Mhaisne <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Cc: shirish शिरीष <email@example.com>, Rigved Rakshit <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Siji Sunny <email@example.com>, _List_Debian_Indian_Users <firstname.lastname@example.org>, "GNU/Linux Users Group, Mumbai, India" <email@example.com>, ILUG-C <firstname.lastname@example.org>, "Indian Linux group ," <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: BOSS is back ?? Seems like Yes !
- From: Faheem Mitha <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 16:04:32 +0530 (IST)
- Message-id: <[🔎] alpine.DEB.email@example.com>
- In-reply-to: <[🔎] CANpuWXcR8e-Wodv721E-257LHNz1Fe=dg_o6Hi0pCoURvJPjjA@mail.gmail.com>
- References: <[🔎] CADtvZWB8Grh8+sBQ5bp9FneBXZY3DkQPniKh93xjBVj232UrVg@mail.gmail.com> <[🔎] CAEuhoyceb=h10mgTedbi_+Qa0Vpkq+1cec3WPXUSgdB-uN_1PQ@mail.gmail.com> <[🔎] CADdDZRk7qaqUkAEXbFG1aOfbdyCYf+maeuEwCZaj5Nfww5-0xQ@mail.gmail.com> <[🔎] CANpuWXcR8e-Wodv721E-257LHNz1Fe=dg_o6Hi0pCoURvJPjjA@mail.gmail.com>
On Wed, 16 Sep 2015, Abhilash Mhaisne wrote:
I am unable to understand how this works. If BOSS is derived from
debian, it is ought to be free software. So, government of India and
C-DAC can be sued by debian for violating the terms of free software.
How can they "guard" the code?
a) Debian has no formal legal existence. So it can't sue anyone.
b) Its umbrella legal organization is SPI. I don't think they are set up
to sue anyone. For one thing, they don't have that kind of money. For
another, that is not part of their mission.
c) In any case, adding non-free stuff to an aggregation of software like
Debian is not illegal. Debian itself contains non-free software.