Re: Doubts/suggestions with event organization(MiniDebConf '14)

Pirate Praveen <praveen@onenetbeyond.org> writes:

> On Wednesday 13 August 2014 11:35 AM, Vasudev Kamath wrote:
>> What Jonas meant here IIUC is it should be about *Debian* and not
>> something else like some people proposed of making "private
>> communication" as theme of it, then having name miniDebconf doesn't make
>> sense.
>>

> Isn't this too restrictive an approach? And also more like
> proprietary/trademark protection kind of approach (we will only talk
> about debian).

Did I say we only talk about Debian? I said theme of the miniDebconf
should be Debian people can propose different talks but changing the
theme of event to something else and then calling it miniDebconf doesn't
make sense. And please this is not any protection trademark blabla, its
just something what I (and few others) felt.

> Debian is a leading Free Software community and it is an international
> collective working towards making Free Software available to everyone.
>
> We respond to current challenges and Freedom Box is a great example. How
> different is focusing on private communications different from the goal
> of Freedom Box?
>
> Server software plays an important role in ensuring privacy for people
> and if we cannot offer debian as a viable option for people to depend
> on, what are we doing as a project?
>
> We should make all these software available in debian and make it easy
> for people to deploy. It shouldn't need an experienced sysadmin and lots
> of trial and error to have your communications secured. Shouldn't we as
> a community of people fighting for everyone's freedom respond to it?
>
> Debian do have many communication infrastructure like SIP bridge for
> video calling. Shouldn't we try to make a diaspora pod for debian community?
>
> We have Eben Moglen delivering a keynote on this same topic at main
> debconf http://penta.debconf.org/dc10_schedule/events/641.en.html

Did that make Debconf a privacy communication conf? No right? The
Debconf still concentrates on overall development of Debian.

As I said earlier I'm not asking you to restrict the topics on talks, I
only said it should be Debian centric. As you said there are topics like
Freedombox or even Tails which are Debian based/derived/dependent
projects but concentrates on privacy, do talk about them.

[snip]

As a final note I just felt topic of miniDebconf is floating some where
else so I just wanted to share my thoughts. At the end its upto you guys
who are volunteering for the event to decide.

Cheers,
--
Vasudev Kamath
http://copyninja.info