Re: sound cards / Indian Debian developers.

in-line :-

On 9/8/13, Faheem Mitha <faheem@faheem.info> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Shirish's message reminded me of the existence of this list. So... two
> things.
>
> First, I just rebuilt my computer with a new motherboard (the old one
> recently died). However, the onboard sound card is a Realtek piece of
> crap. I've been having a terrible time trying to find a sound card that
> works well with Linux (specifically Alsa, I guess) and that is available
> in India. For some reason, there is a ridiculous scarcity of sound cards
> in India.

I *think* the scarcity is because most of the people either are happy
or do not know or care about pci/usb internal/external sound cards.
The cost is not alone with the cards but with the cost of additional
speakers (to justify the expense) and so on.

> I found a couple of places in India that sell the Sound Blaster Live! 5.1.
> This is an ancient card, but apparently works well with Linux, and would
> be an improvement on my Realtek piece of junk. I wrote to ask them the
> exact model, to make sure they actually had the right card, but neither of
> them have replied so far. Does anyone have any ideas about a suitable
> sound card available in India, or knows where one could get a Sound
> Blaster Live! 5.1 or similar?
>
> Second, is anyone keeping a list of Indian Debian developers along with
> contact information, and if so, could you share it? Thanks. I know I can
> get something from people.debian.org, which currently gives 9 names for
> India, but it may not be up to date.

Ebay seems to have listed quite a few soundcards which you can look at :-

http://www.ebay.in/sch/Sound-Cards-for-Desktop-PC-/44980/i.html

I am assuming for desktop use-case.

I *think* most of them should work for you.

In fact was reminded of a yr. old posting on phoronix about some of
the kernel work which had gone in both for new versions of  Creative
Sound Core3D cards as well as the Xonar ones.

See http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTEwNjg . This
is a year old so with a recent enough kernel and a recentish alsa
theoretically you should face no issues (meaning out of box
experience).

>                                                            Regards, Faheem

Let us know what you decide and how the experience is/was when you got
the card .

Looking forward to know.
065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3  8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17