Re: DEP 17: Improve support for directory aliasing in dpkg

Hi,

On Sun, 2023-05-07 at 07:50 +0200, Helmut Grohne wrote:
> But then, you only capture diversions inside Debian's ecosystem and miss
> out on other kinds of diversions such as local diversions. We currently
> support imposing local diversions on pretty much arbitrary files
> including unit files.

No, we do not really support diversions. Once you are divert a file, it
is luck whether this works or not.

Once you divert files, maintainer scripts and other parts would have to
be aware of this and chose whether to use the original file included in
the file or the diverted file.

Not handling diversions can lead to files disappearing, data loss or
other breakage, but it's very rare a package considers this.

Ansgar