Re: Status of dpkg-shlibdeps tracking ARM object linkage ABI mismatches

Hey Guillem!

On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 11:27:47PM +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
>Hi Steve!
>
>I was recently working on the Dpkg::Shlibs::Objdump module code
>related to ELF and ABI tracking, and when seeing the ARM handling
>missing there, recalled the issues we saw some time ago with ARM
>when I tried to make that tracking more strict, which had to be
>reverted due to issues with objects in the wild. For context that
>was #853793.

Oh $deity, that's going back a while... :-)

>I was wondering whether you (or know if someone else) had worked on
>the ARM port side of things to clean up those issues, from toolchain to
>specific objects in packages? I'm not in a hurry to add that code back
>so do not feel any pressure from this, I'm mostly wondering where we are
>at with this, and whether there is something I can improve from dpkg side
>in that regard, but if not that's also fine, and then I'd probably try
>to update the status somewhere (code comment or wiki or something).

I've moved on from being employed by Arm 3 years ago, and I've got
plenty of other things to keep me busy now. If we're still seeing
issues in packages today, then maybe we might find some help from
Wookey or Emmanuel (who should both be reading this list!).

>(I think at least the issue with wine should be solved now with commit
>https://salsa.debian.org/wine-team/wine/-/commit/51f48d3e6c04cef760610d14ba5f368e7f2baf7a)

Nod.

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."
   -- Bertrand Russell