Fwd: release-notes | issues: document switch to usrmerge

Dear dpkg maintainers,

im trying to contribute some text to the bookworm release-notes about usrmerge --- no-one's favourite topic i know --  I want to make sure users (like me) understand the potential issues when upgrading.

I am aware that you have some concerns about the process of changing a system to the nee layout: i am trying to understand exactly what these are (other than the one about dpkg -S which i think i do understand)

I think what i am asking for is a lay persons explanation of the list here - https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg/FAQ#unsupported-merged-usr-via-aliased-dirs

The thing im not understanding is from that page is:
- what is the thing that could go wrong when convering a non-merged system?
- how do i know if that thing exists on system?

If easier to comment on the
merge request, the link is here
https://salsa.debian.org/ddp-team/release-notes/-/merge_requests/155

For avoidance of doubt - this isnt about criticising or justifying anyone's decision: just trying to set out the facts for users (without causing excessive alarm).

cheers for any help!