dpkg -b allowed to build with a non-utf8 control file

Hello:

Checking documentation for deb packages, I read that the control file should be UTF-8:
I was able to build a non-utf8 package using dpkg -b.

This was originally reported in Landscape-Client:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/landscape-client/+bug/1813442

A possible workaround was provided by the user "Uli Köhler" at:
https://techoverflow.net/2020/04/17/how-to-fix-landscape-package-reporter-unicodedecodeerror-utf-8-codec-cant-decode-byte/

Making reference to the first version, '1.0.0.944' of the package "veeam". The report points:
"The strange character is the U+FFFD � REPLACEMENT CHARACTER."

I was able to reproduce the problem in Landscape Client, and I discovered the error came from a wrong encoding used in the control file.
I made a wrong encoded description, which reproduced the error on our side.

Nevertheless, it is not a bug in Landscape but in dpkg, which allowed building a deb package with a wrong encoded control file.

The broken description package is attached for further study.

Sincerely,

--
Juanmi Taboada
Tlf: +34 610 370 165 - 0xA4F00963