Re: dpkg with threaded xz decompression.

Hi!

On Wed, 2022-12-14 at 07:15:40 +0100, Sebastian Andrzej Siewior wrote:
> On 2022-10-07 05:07:08 [+0200], Guillem Jover wrote:
> > Great, thanks much for this! I've rebased (with no changes needed) the
> > patch on top of git HEAD, built and executed the functional test suite,
> > and it seems to be working fine. :) And pushed it to
> > <https://git.hadrons.org/git/debian/dpkg/dpkg.git/commit/?h=next/xz-mt-decompressor>.
>
> The 5.4 hit experimental as you noticed. Once you fine with your testing
> we may move it to unstable.

Yes, thank you! I'm running with it, and seems to be working fine. Did
you end up doing more tests? I think moving the library to unstable the
sooner the better, so that it can be exposed to more people. I guess I'd
do a dpkg upload in at most a couple of days or so.

I think one minor concern I have (but now realized it does not affect
Debian) is that the -T option for the xz tool (when used by libdpkg
instead of linking against the liblzma library), will fallback to the
non-multithreaded encoder/decoder if passed 1. But passing +1 is not
supported by older versions. This would affect reproducibility. I
guess I could always pass +1 and document that the new version is
required when not linking against the library, but meh I guess.

I also realized that it would be nice to update the dpkg-source code
to use the threaded stuff. Will prepare a patch for that.

Thanks,
Guillem