Re: dpkg test suite fails on Alpine Linux starting with 1.21.10

On Tue, 2022-12-06 at 16:45:40 +0100, Guillem Jover wrote:
> On Mon, 2022-12-05 at 20:43:45 +0100, Sören Tempel wrote:
> > I haven't tried reproducing the failure on alpine:latest yet so please
> > let me know if you are also not able to reproduce the hang on alpine:edge.
>
> So this should be properly fixed now in dpkg 1.21.12 which I released
> yesterday. Thanks! :)
>
> While I'm checking the Alpine packaging I noticed some things that
> could be improved:
>
>  * The dpkg-checkbuilddeps test workaround does not seem to be needed
>    anymore? (I recall fixing that, and at least it seemed to pass on
>    the alpine:edge Docker image).

Ah, sorry, disregard this one. I think I might have installed dpkg on
the Docker image and that's why it was passing. But I'll fix this for
dpkg 1.21.13.

>  * Might need a makedepends on xz-dev (and remove the xz from depends?).
>  * Might need a depends on xz, gzip and bzip2 for $pkgname-dev, not
>    sure whether one can specify fine-grained dependencies only for
>    that package though? Perhaps within the dev() function?
>  * The dpkg-dev might need a depends on dpkg.
>  * There should be no need to create the updates/ dir, nor touch the
>    status nor available file anymore, they are supposed to be created
>    on demand now.
>  * The dpkg-dev package ships the headers, .pc file and similar but
>    the static library (as the library is not stable yet and there is
>    no shared library yet), gets removed in package(). So probably stop
>    removing the static library? Some packages (at least in Debian)
>    make use of it.
>  * The dpkg-buildflags and dpkg-genbuildinfo should be moved to
>    dpkg-dev. The same with the usr/share/dpkg/*.mk files.

I've also now (pushed to git) fixed all the compiler warnings that
appear during the build on Alpine. :)

Thanks,
Guillem