Re: dpkg test suite fails on Alpine Linux starting with 1.21.10

Hi,

Thanks for your quick response.

Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org> wrote:
> That's weird. I cannot reproduce this. It works in Debian (but that
> could imply some hidden dependency), and I just spawned an alpine:latest
> Docker image, and it passes there too with what's currently on git HEAD:
>
>   ,---
>   /src/dpkg # cat /etc/alpine-release
>   3.17.0
>   /src/dpkg # apk --version
>   apk-tools 2.12.10, compiled for x86_64.
>   /src/dpkg # make -C scripts/ check
>   […]
>   ./t/merge_changelogs.t ......... ok
>   ./t/mk.t ....................... ok
>   All tests successful.
>   Files=47, Tests=24295, 11 wallclock secs ( 1.11 usr  0.12 sys +  8.06 cusr  1.34 csys = 10.63 CPU)
>   Result: PASS
>   make[2]: Leaving directory '/src/dpkg/scripts'
>   make[1]: Leaving directory '/src/dpkg/scripts'
>   make: Leaving directory '/src/dpkg/scripts'
>   `---

alpine:latest is the latest stable release. I encountered this on
alpine:edge, which is our rolling release development version (basically
Debian Sid). It is interesting that it doesn't seem to fail in
alpine:latest though. However, I can reproduce it in a fresh alpine:edge
Docker image using the following commands:

	$ docker run -it alpine:edge
	/ # cat /etc/alpine-release
	3.17_alpha20221110
	/ # apk add build-base ncurses-dev xz coreutils gzip bzip2-dev linux-headers perl zlib-dev po4a tar libmd-dev
	/ # wget https://deb.debian.org/debian/pool/main/d/dpkg/dpkg_1.21.11.tar.xz
	/ # tar -xvf dpkg_1.21.11.tar.xz
	/ # cd dpkg-1.21.11
	/ # ./configure --disable-nls
	/ # make -j$(nproc)
	/ # make -C scripts/ check

I haven't tried reproducing the failure on alpine:latest yet so please
let me know if you are also not able to reproduce the hang on alpine:edge.

Greetings
Sören