Re: dpkg with threaded xz decompression.

Hi!

On Tue, 2022-09-27 at 21:44:36 +0200, Sebastian Andrzej Siewior wrote:
> XZ Utils 5.3.3alpha has been released and one of the highlights is a
> threaded .xz decompressor. See
> 	https://www.mail-archive.com/xz-devel@tukaani.org/msg00591.html
>
> Assuming the final stable release by streams happens in December, would
> there still be time to have dpkg support for it targeting Bookworm?
> Would it help to have the current alpha version experimental?
> Is there anything I could help with?

Ah! I was looking into this a couple of weeks back, and was wondering
how to proceed. I merged all the needed patches into dpkg git main
except for the last patch enabling the threaded decompressor. The
problem is that I wanted to retest it, as the xz implementation
changed upstream, and I had adapted it to the new API, but I run out
of steam when I was confronted with having to update the xz-utils
packaging for the alpha branch.

So having that packaged in experimental would help. My main concern
was that given that this is in an alpha, I'm not sure what API
guarantees are there. But I was considering committing the patch (once
tested) anyway, which would end up being disabled until the xz-utils
version gets uploaded to sid, and would require just a binNMU (if
necessary).

Thanks,
Guillem