Draft resolution for "Native source package format with non-native version"

Hello,

At today's ctte meeting we considered whether we can start a vote on
this, but two committee members were missing, and someone else at the
meeting reported that they hadn't yet been able to spend enough time
thinking through the issue to be ready to vote.

We came up with the following plan.  Below I've drafted a ballot.  Once
each of those three individuals has let me know that they've had a
chance to catch up, I'll start a vote.  The hope is that this can happen
well in advance of our next meeting.  So, ctte members, if I don't
already know that you're caught up, please write to me once you are.

~~~~~

DRAFT

Using its powers under constitution 6.1.5, the Technical Committee
issues the following advice:

  1. It is not a bug of any severity for a package with a non-native
     version number to use a native source package format.

  2. Thus, we think that dpkg shouldn't issue warnings, or otherwise
     complain, when a non-native version number is used w/ 3.0 (native).

  3. We suggest that the wontfix tag on #737634 be reconsidered.

  4. We believe that there are indeed circumstances in which
     1.0-with-diff is the best choice for a particular source package,
     including, but not limited to, git-first packaging workflows.

  5. We decline to comment on the recent source package format MBF.

 Option A -- issue items 1--5

 Option B -- issue items 1, 2, 3 and 5, but not 4

 Option N -- none of the above.

END DRAFT

--
Sean Whitton