Re: Enabling -ffile-prefix-map by default

On 2020-06-03, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> On 2020-06-03, Benjamin Barenblat wrote:
>> Related discussion [2] concluded that the option
>> should be disabled by default and enabled after Reproducible Builds had
>> trialed it for a while. Having enabled it in some of my recent
>> packaging, I’m curious whether it may be time to switch this flag to be
>> enabled by default. What do you think?
>
> It helps maybe hundreds of packages

I can't prove it isn't fixed in some other way, but my guess is this is
in the ballpark of 500-700, based on the currently reproducible builds
from packages marked with this issue:

  https://tests.reproducible-builds.org/debian/issues/unstable/gcc_captures_build_path_issue.html

> and we've identified a small (16 at the moment) number packages for
> which it causes issues:
>
>   https://tests.reproducible-builds.org/debian/issues/unstable/ftbfs_due_to_f-file-prefix-map_issue.html
>
> But most of those packages still FTBFS on bullseye and buster where we
> don't set the flag (or vary the build path)...

On closer look, I was mistaken; tests.reproducible-builds.org sets
reproducible=+all on all distributions... even though we only vary the
build path in unstable and experimental.

We'd be able to get more accurate data if we remove the flag for
bullseye and manually schedule all of those packages, at least
temporarily... anyone have concerns with doing that and waiting for the
builds to complete before bringing this up on debian-devel?

> There may also be others that fail but haven't been identified.
>
> I recall this thread where it broke test suites of some packages:
>
>   https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/reproducible-builds/Week-of-Mon-20190204/011101.html

Many of the identified ones are named k*, so probably directly
related...

> I believe maintainers can override this flag in their packages if
> needed? If so, I'd be inclined to explore setting it by default!

Overriding the flags in 16 packages doesn't sound like a *huge* effort
to me, although though from a quick glance, many of them from KDE
related teams:

  https://udd.debian.org/dmd/?debian-qt-kde%40lists.debian.org
  https://udd.debian.org/dmd/?pkg-kde-extras%40lists.alioth.debian.org

live well,